Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wood Duck

I like the looks of a wooden boat, regardless of the type. Everyone always says "yes, me too, but they take a lot of work keeping them looking nice." But you know if that boat is encased with epoxy then it would not be so hard to keep looking nice.
How about a wooden kayak? The knock you hear is "if it is strong enough it will be too heavy." However, if you could get some very hard, very thin, very light plywood
and encase it in just the right amount of epoxy...

There you have the inspiration and the out line of my winter of 2010 project.
Building a wooden kayak.
This is the first of any such endeavor by me. I did not build model airplanes or boats or anything as a kid. One reason was a total lack of confidence. Another, I could never set it aside and then come back to it. And there were other things I'd rather do. So I think most of my family and friends who have heard of this project are somewhat surprised.
I started out doing lots of reading and looking at my options. Building from scratch or from a kit. I have very little wood working equipment so the kit look like the best option. I surveyed the Internet for kayak kits and selected a company which had several types and even several different building techniques to choose from.
I am building a Wood Duck 10 using the stitch and glue technique.
That means a kayak with a funny tail. You first glue some short pieces together so you get a kayak that is 10 feet long. Then you stitch all the parts together using copper wire and bending it into the shape of a kayak.
The finished product will be encased in fiberglass and epoxy. None of this have I ever attempted or even witnessed being done. But here goes.
Stay tuned for pictures and progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment